The Kiddos

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers


Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Heebie Jeebies

Last Sunday as I was sitting in my glider aimlessly wandering about the WWW I noticed a small pile of sawdust on the floor under the TV console. I thought to myself it was weird but I remember that B had been inside the cabinet messing with the surround sound during the football game so I didn't investigate the situation. Anyways, I forgot all about it.

A little history: a few months ago B got a new TV. This TV mounts to the wall so we were then in the market for a table of some sort to go under the TV. Many furniture stores and hours later B found the perfect one. Turns out this piece was very popular and was out of stock but would be in the store within the next month, but probably sooner. Although hesitant, B put a deposit down so we would get one when they arrived. After 2 weeks B called to check on the status. Anyway, to make a long story short, they sold us the one on the showroom floor just to get us to quit calling! The piece is perfect and it matches our other furniture very well.

So back to today: B and I are chatting about our day and B notices the small pile of sawdust that I never called attention to or cleaned up. "What the hell?" are his exact words. He gets on the floor to get a better look. "Holy sh**, there's a bug in there eating my fine furniture" hehe. He's freaking out, I'm freaking out and Chloe just wants to see. B gets his flashlight, a pair of tweezers (not mine!) and a small clear plastic bowl to capture this furniture destroyer! I tried to get a picture but couldn't really get a good one.

The dark thing in the hole is a bug that we have no clue what it looks like. EWWWWWW!! B gets all of the extraction tools ready and I am scared of what this thing is going to look like. So he grabs it, well half of it. EWW! He is then able to get the other part of. We quickly close it up in a clear plastic bowl so we can further check it out.

Yuck, yuck, yuck. It seriously gives me the heebie jeebies!!

I looked it up online to learn all about it. The bug lays eggs in the wood which then gets sealed in by stain. The bostrichid powderpost beetle bores tunnels through the wood before an adult exits. This can take up to 3 years! EWW! This bug has been living in the White house for like 2 months.

We have the bug in a container, still in 2 pieces. B filled the hole with some insecticide powder stuff. So weird and so gross!

No comments:

Post a Comment